The government has set a 24-month completion deadline for road projects being executed under its Big Push programme, with most of the projects expected to be handed over by the end of 2027.
Deputy Minister for Roads and Highways, Alhassan Suhuyini, said the government was closely monitoring the projects and would take corrective measures to ensure contractors who were behind schedule caught up.
Speaking on the Channel One Newsroom on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, Mr Suhuyini said some of the projects would ordinarily require about 36 months to complete, but contractors under the Big Push programme had been given 24 months.
“Some of the Big Push projects, the engineers will tell you, under normal circumstances, they expect contractors to take about 36 months to finish the projects, but we have given them 24 months.”
He said the government was maintaining pressure on contractors through regular monitoring to ensure that delays were addressed promptly.
“It is the reason why we are sustaining the pressure and the monitoring on the field to make sure that corrective measures can be implemented to bring those that are off schedule to also be on schedule,” he said.
According to Mr Suhuyini, the government expects most of the projects under the programme to be completed and handed over by the end of 2027.
“In fact, all the projects that are under the Big Push agenda are to be done in 24 months. And so we are expecting that by the end of 2027, almost all of them would have handed over,” he said.
He said some projects were expected to make significant progress before the end of 2026.
On the Adenta section, Mr Suhuyini said the government had received assurances that significant portions of the project would be completed by December 2026, allowing motorists to experience improved traffic flow.
He also cited the Tema-Aflao corridor, saying additional sections were expected to be opened to traffic to ease congestion, although the entire project would not be completed by December.
Mr Suhuyini further disclosed that the government expects President John Dramani Mahama to begin commissioning some of the completed projects by the middle of 2027.
“Our expectation is that by the middle of next year, His Excellency President Mahama should begin commissioning some of these projects,” he said.
The 24-month deadline places pressure on contractors to accelerate work on the government’s flagship road programme, particularly projects that have already fallen behind schedule.
Mr Suhuyini said the government would continue to monitor progress and implement corrective measures where necessary to ensure that contractors meet the agreed timelines.